The other evening, I hosted a ladies wine and cheese night at my house. I wanted to add something to the menu that wasn’t so heavy since there was going to be cheeses and meats galore. I decided a salad would be the perfect addition to our buffet. I knew I wanted to do a light fresh salad with a balsamic dressing—we are red wine drinkers and balsamic would be a good pair with a red wine, at least in my opinion, I am certainly no wine snob. I went to the store and picked up a few ingredients for the salad I thought would pair well. It turned out awesome and it was extremely easy to assemble. This salad could be as a side dish or the main course.
- 4 cups Spring Mix Salad Greens
- 1/2 container Blueberries
- 2 cans Mandarin Oranges (I used the no sugar added)
- 2-3 Chicken breast, cooked and cubed (I let cool before adding to salad so doesn’t wilt) –season per personal preference, I left very simple with just a little salt and pepper
- 1 cup Feta Cheese
- 1 cup Candied Walnuts (see below for homemade recipe) You can certainly use store bought–but by making my own with stevia, I saved A LOT of sugar!
Combine Spring mix, blueberries, and oranges– mix with tongs. Top with the remaining ingredients. Serve with your favorite dressing! I used a balsamic vinaigrette –see above. You could dress the salad and mix before serving if you want as well!
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- butter flavored nonstick cooking spray
- 1 stevia packet
Preheat oven to 395F, Put walnuts on cookie sheet lined with tin foil, spray with butter spray to coat, top with stevia packet and cinnamon until covered, mix the walnuts around to ensure the walnuts are fully covered. Roast nuts in the oven for about 7 minutes. Let cool and enjoy!